An outstanding example of Georgian Colonial architecture, this house was the hub of a large and actively developed farm, built as a country residence and farmstead in 1760 for wealthy British naval officer Commodore Joshua Loring. The house was confiscated by colonial forces and in 1776 served as a headquarters for General Nathanael Greene and, soon after, a hospital for Continental Army soldiers following the Battle of Bunker Hill. Displayed throughout the House are American furniture and decorative arts from the 18th through the early 20th centuries; as well as fine art, both American and European, from the same periods.
Saturday: 10am-6pm and Sunday 10am-6pm
12 South St, Jamaica Plain, 02130
617-524-3158 | Wheelchair accessible (first floor and grounds)