This eight-story complex was constructed on the Commonwealth Flats by the U.S. Department of Defense in 1918 and originally served as a waterside storehouse for the South Boston Army Base. Today the 1.4 million sf facility is home to a dynamic mix of companies and industries that include architecture and creative service studios, specialized manufacturing facilities, research and development firms, and technology start-ups. With an ambitious, thoughtful revitalization nearly complete, the IDB anchors the eastern portion of Boston’s Seaport.
As part of CB16, select tenants, including Baker Design Group, the Makers' Guild, and Tria Architecture will open their offices and offer tours.
The Innovation and Design Building
Architect: U.S. Army Construction Division (original), Elkus Manfredi (renovation)
Year: 1918, 2016
617-449-5501 | Wheelchair accessible