The Strand Theatre

  • 543 Columbia Road Dorchester, MA, 02125 United States

The Strand was built in 1918 as a movie and vaudeville house, designed by Boston architecture firm Funk and Wilcox. The theatre entrance featured a two-story recessed triumphal arch with a fanlight tympanum and a quietly elegant Adamesque interior. After a mid-century decline, a massive restoration effort brought the Strand back as a cultural and entertainment center and a landmark of the Upham's Corner neighborhood. In the mid-2000s, the Strand closed several times for repairs and renovations, including upgrading the electrical switch gear, replacement of 300 seats in the orchestra section, as well as cleaning and repairing the remaining 1,100 seats and renovations of the box office and dressing rooms. In July 2008, the Strand's stage floor and orchestra pit were replaced and repairs were made to the facade and marquee.

The Strand Theatre
Architect: Funk and Wilcox
Year: 1918

617-635-1403  |  Not wheelchair accessible