Boston’s oldest remaining fire house structure, the Eustis Street Fire House was designed by Roxbury architect John Roulestone Hall in 1859. The Eustis Street station originally housed a hand pumper that was pulled by firefighters of the Roxbury Fire Department, before the deployment of horse drawn fire apparatus. From the time Roxbury was annexed to Boston in 1868 to 1873, Ladder Company 4 was installed at this station, serving with distinction during the Great Fire of 1872. Chemical Engine Company 10 operated from this station from 1889 to 1918. With its fire uses over, the building housed the Spanish American War Veterans from 1919 to 1950. The building sat empty for more than 50 years before Historic Boston Inc. secured a 99-year lease from the city and completed a rehabilitation in 2011 of the structure as the HBI Headquarters and the Timothy Smith Technology Centers. The redevelopment included reconstructing the previous wood frame addition to the structure.
Be sure to visit the Eliot Burying Ground next door!
20 Eustis St, Roxbury, 02119
Eustis Street Firehouse + Historic Boston Inc Headquarters
Architect: John Roulestone Hall
617.442.1859 | Not Handicap Accessible