First Baptist Church of Boston


First Baptist occupies the first church which H.H. Richardson designed in the Romanesque style.  Built between 1869 and 1872, it was originally owned by the Brattle Square Church of Boston.  The First Baptist Church purchased the building in 1880.  After various modifications including addition of three balconies, new pews, and Wayland Hall, First Baptist Church moved into its current building in 1882. Built of Roxbury puddingstone laid in random ashlar, the church features a monumental tower topped by frieze and corbelled arches.  Notable are the tower sculptures by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi; Hook and Hastings Organ Opus 727, which includes pipework from an English organ of 1792; and Louis Comfort Tiffany's window “Saint John the Divine.”

Saturday: 10am-6pm and Sunday: 10am-6pm
110 Commonwealth Ave, Boston, 02116

First Baptist Church of Boston
Architect: H.H. Richardson
Year: 1872